South Padre Island is excited to welcome the SPI FitRec 10k Color run. This running event is scheduled for Saturday, May 19, 2018.
The South Padre Island Police Department along with other City departments will be working together to manage crowds and traffic control. Barrels and cones will be placed in areas to enhance the flow of traffic.
“Public Safety is our number one priority,” said Randy Smith, police chief. “We want to ensure the participants and visitors enjoy this event.”
Expect traffic delays before and after the event. The run will begin at 7:30 a.m. Participants will travel eastbound from Port Isabel across the Queen Isabella Memorial Bridge, ending at 6900 Padre Blvd.
The City will place traffic control barrels and cones on the roadway to direct traffic movement and to minimize delays. The locations of the traffic control barrels/cones are as follows:
1. All eastbound traffic will be directed to the inside lane beginning at South Manautou Road and State Hwy. 100, Port Isabel. Traffic cones/barrels and traffic personnel will be directing all motor vehicles to the inside lane.
2. Traffic barrels and cones will be placed northbound at the 300 block of Padre Boulevard.
3. Traffic barrels and cones will be placed at East Haas Street and Padre Boulevard.
5. Traffic barrels and cones will be placed at East Sunset Street and Padre Boulevard.
6. Westbound traffic crossing the Queen Isabella Memorial Bridge will be unobstructed.
7. Estimated time for the temporary lane closures: 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.