South Padre Island is excited to welcome back the SPI TRI. This swim, bike and run event is scheduled for this Sunday, Sept. 30.The South Padre Island Police Department along with other City departments will be working together to manage personnel and traffic control to enhance the flow of traffic.“Public Safety is our number one priority,” said Randy Smith, police chief. “We want to ensure the participants and visitors enjoy this event.”Expect traffic delays before and after the SPI TRI event. The swimming event will start at 7 a.m. followed by the Bike event and end with the Run event. All events will begin and end at 5801 Padre Blvd.Personnel will place traffic control barrels/cones on the roadway to direct traffic movement and to minimize delays. The details of the traffic control are as follows:SPI TRI Swim Event
- Swimmers will enter the water at 5801 Padre Blvd. and then loop around the buoy and swim back to 5801 Padre Blvd.SPI TRI Bike Event
- Beginning at 5801 Padre Blvd. the cyclists will head northbound on Padre Boulevard (State Highway 100) for 6.1 miles and then turn southbound to return to 5801 Padre Blvd. for a total of 12.2 miles.SPI TRI Running Event
- The race will begin at 5801 Padre Blvd., head northbound to Sunset Drive and turn right onto East Sunset Drive.
- Racers will run southbound along Gulf Boulevard to East Huisache Street.
- Racers will turn right and continue westbound, crossing Padre Boulevard, to West Huisache Street.
- Racers will turn right on Laguna Boulevard heading northbound to Morningside Drive and then turn right heading towards Padre Boulevard.
- Upon arrival at Padre Boulevard, racers will turn left heading northbound and finish at5801 Padre Blvd.