The City of South Padre Island wants you to keep your pet’s safety in mind while enjoying the beach.
“South Padre Island is a pet-friendly place for all to enjoy,” said J. Victor Baldovinos, Environmental Health director. “We want everyone to enjoy the island and the beach with your pets – but, make sure that you are taking their safety and comfort into consideration.”
The City and the SPI Friends of Animal Rescue recommend these tips and precautions to keep your pets safe.
- The City of South Padre Island has a leash law, so please leash your pets.
- Don’t let your pets drink ocean water- it will upset their stomachs. Make sure to keep fresh water on hand.
- Use pet-friendly sunscreen to help protect them from sunburns. Provide shade when possible.
- The sand and pavement can get too hot for pet paws. Avoid taking your dogs out during peak sun times. If the sand or pavement is too hot for you, it is for them also.
- If you live on the Island, make sure you have your pets licensed. If your animal should be lost, this will help identify them faster.
- If you are visiting, bring your pet’s proof of vaccination and a photo so that if your pet becomes lost we can help reunite the two of you.
- Remember your animal’s sensitive ears during fireworks that go off at 9:15 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays. Please keep your pets inside or secure.
If you find or lose a pet, call Friends of Animal Rescue immediately on their 24/7 hotline at (956) 772-1171. All found pets will be kept safe and cared for at the shelter until they are reunited with their owners.
Follow these simple tips so you and your pets can enjoy all that the Island has to offer.